Friday, April 7, 2017

Garden Photo Contest

The Carmel Valley Garden Club annual garden show is coming up in about a month, and this year they've added a new feature--a photography contest. Since OG gave me my wonderful new camera for Christmas, I've decided to enter a few of my photos--all taken from my own yard.

The contest includes five categories: landscape, wildlife, flowers, plants, and edibles. Each entrant is allowed to enter three photos. That's where you come in. I need help choosing my entries. I've already chosen my favorite landscape photo. I can't imagine I could top this one of a misty valley sunrise:
#1


Where I need help is choosing a flower photo and a wildlife photo. The wildlife entry is going to be the most challenging because we have so much fun wildlife here, and I've been lucky enough to capture a number of my favorite visitors on camera. Each photo is numbered, and I'd really like to hear which animal and which flower you like best. The entries will be printed in 8" x 10" format, and OG has volunteered to print them for me. Thanks for your help!
#2

#3

#4
#5
#6
#7

12 comments:

  1. #3 for flower photo. Hands down. #5 deer is still my fave. It's super well composed. I like the quail shot a lot, but the lighting isn't as good. My non-professional opinion, mind you. Good luck picking a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The Pride of Madeira is my favorite, too. I love the quail, but they prefer to come around at dusk, so it's hard to get a nice, bright picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #3 for flower; #6 for wildlife. I like the contrast of the red with the critter (gecko?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JL. The little alligator lizard seems to be a favorite!

      Delete
  4. #3 ne #5. I loved the first, the fog on the mountains, but not enough contrast. Still I do love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Celia. I felt very lucky when that doe just sat on the neighbor's patio and let me photograph her.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks! I knew people would like the deer, but that little lizard is more popular than I expected.

      Delete
  6. I think #3 is just a little different than your standard flower shot. My favorite--besides your misty valley sunrise, which is gorgeous--is the lizard, because you caught the flower in the foreground which adds such nice color. And then I like the quail/partridgy one because it is, again, more unique. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so glad you liked the lizard. He seems to be a favorite.

      Delete
  7. I like #3 because of the sunlight, and I guess the second deer. The lizard is pretty cool too with the red flowers, but getting a good picture of a deer is hard to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tami. The deer here aren't as difficult to photograph as you might think. They're completely unimpressed by humans.

      Delete