Friday, June 14, 2013

Who Loves Fairy Gardens?

I love fairy gardens. Who doesn't? They combine two of my favorite things: gardening and miniatures. The best fairy gardens whisk you away into a wonderful world of make-believe on a tiny scale, much like a dollhouse but complete with a magical outdoor setting. (Does anyone else remember Thumbellina?)

I loved playing with my dollhouse when I was a little girl. I had some furniture and accessories that had belonged to my mother, and we bought a number of additional pieces over the years. When my daughter inherited the dollhouse, she and I used to visit a fabulous miniature shop in Minneapolis to add to the collection. We both cherish the memories of those special excursions, which were precursors to innumerable fun girls' days since. The dollhouse has moved on to one of my nieces, but I still have two boxes of furniture and accessories to pass down in case I'm lucky enough to have a granddaughter one day.

My mother was in town a couple of weeks ago for her first visit since we moved, so I took her to my favorite garden center, Griggs Nursery in Carmel Valley. I wasn't looking for fairy gardens because I'd never seen them there. However, as soon as we arrived, we came face to face with this one. Doesn't it look like The Shire? I can almost see Bilbo and Frodo, can't you?
 


Mom and I were instantly captivated. We looked around and came across several more. They're quite pricey but SO charming.
 

Then we found a display of fairy garden accessories, and I was inspired. I promised Mom I'd plant my own fairy garden as soon as we move into the new house. I can hardly wait!

8 comments:

  1. I want one!!!!! I have a doll house and some of the pieces cost a lot. But, it gets so dusty if not kept covered. I have been looking at these doors and stuff in catalogs and thinking about trying to make one myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Mary! I can't plant one for several months because we'll be moving again in the fall. But once we get settled, a fairy garden is high on my priority list!

      Delete
  2. I love fairy gardens! I would love to do one, or more. You can make them as inexpensive or expensive as you wish. Our garden center has a huge display that is wonderful and expensive. Someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jody. I'd been interested in fairy gardens since last summer, when Michele Hauf posted pictures of hers, but I'd never seen one in person until last week. I'm excited to try my own.

      Delete
  3. These are my newest fantasy obsession. I discovered them in detail at a garden center in Wisconsin of all places and decided I have to create one at some point. I haven't done it yet, but this is just fueling the fire. Thanks, Alison, this is so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, I figure I have at least six months for the anticipation to build before I can make my own. In the meantime, I'll have to look at photos, catalogues, etc. for inspiration.

      Delete
  4. Love these! I have to find them, or make one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to learn how to make these! I love them. Thanks for the inspiration, Alison. :)

    ReplyDelete