Friday, November 28, 2014

Divine Pear and Cranberry Pie

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving full of family, friends, and great food. I took advantage of the fact that OG and I were on our own for the first time this year to experiment a bit. Our daughter is coming for Christmas and doesn't allow ANY deviation from family holiday traditions. She requires exactly the same foods, cooked exactly the same way, every year.

I love pumpkin pie (and make a pretty darned good one!), but yesterday I decided to bake another favorite - Pear and Cranberry Pie. It turned out fantastic, as always. For those who are interested, here's the recipe. I got it from the Sept/Oct 2008 issue of Cabin Life magazine.


Divine Pear and Cranberry Pie
2  unbaked 9-inch pie crusts, pierced with a fork
6  half-ripe pears, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks
2  tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp grated fresh lemon zest
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
   Pinch of salt
2-3 tbsp milk
   Sprinkling of sugar

  1. Gently toss pears with lemon juice, zest, and cranberries.
  2. Mix together sugar, flour, and salt. Combine with pear and berry mixture.
  3. Layer pear and berry mixture into first pie crust.
  4. Place second pie crust on top, seal edges, and cut small vents in the top with a knife.
  5. Gently brush the top pie crust with milk. Sprinkle with sugar.
  6. Bake in preheated 375-degree oven for 50-55 minutes.
  7. Let pie cool for 1 hour before slicing.
Enjoy, and Happy Holidays!

2 comments:

  1. I make pies that taste good--really! But they never LOOK this wonderful, ever. Happy Thanksgiving, Alison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz. I know you had a wonderful Thanksgiving - you're the most consistently thankful person I know.

      Delete